Children and dogs in the same household equals many moments of joy for the whole family, dogs included. There are a few considerations that parents should bear in mind and a few rules that children and dogs must learn. These rules are simple and easy to learn.
This book contains sound advice for parents and dog owners.
This little book was published in Danish by Borgen Publishers in 1986 as one in a series of five booklets that dealt with the most common questions asked by dog owners and the problems they ran into. It was never reprinted after the first edition of 25,000 copies sold out. It became since then a bit of a collector’s item.
“Dogs and Children” was published in Danish, Norwegian and Italian, and never translated into English until now. I have often been asked to write about dogs and children and I have done so occasionally in short articles and blogs, but the advice has never been published as a book, except for this booklet. The other day, whilst dusting off my books, I came across the five booklets and thought it would be a good idea to translate the original “Hund og Barn” into English. I have kept the original photos and layout and it is now available free of charge as a flip-page E-book.
The intention of this little book was to provide dog owners with sound advice that would help them prevent accidents from happening and, as such, I believe that it can still perform the same role today as it did 26 years ago.
Click the full-screen view icon for better reading. Zoom in and out as you please.
Sorry, this book is no longer available here. Please, visit Ethology Institute’s Online Bookstore.
- 16 Things You Should Stop Doing In Order To Be Happy With Your Dog (animals, behavior, dogs) 2012.08.01
- The Thai Rikki-Tikki-Tavi (children, dogs, cultures) 2012.07.09
- Canine Ethogram—Social and Agonistic Behavior (animals, behavior, dogs, evolution) 2012.06.29
- The Final Walk (children, dogs, cultures) 2012.06.27
- Pacifying Behavior—Origin, Function and Evolution (aggression, dogs, dominance, evolution, pacifying, submission) 2012.06.06
- Should We Reinforce the Effort or the Results? (behavior, dogs, reinforcement, training) 2012.02.05
- Dominance—Making Sense of the Nonsense (aggression, behavior, biology, dogs, dominance, fear, genetics, hierarchy, submission, social, wolf) 2011.12.11
- The Magic Words “Yes’ And ‘No’ (dogs, language, punishment, SMAF, training) 2011.11.27
- The First Ten Skills You Should Teach Your Puppy (dogs, learning, puppies, training) 2011.11.09
- Signal and Cue—What is the Difference? (behavior, cue, dog, signal, training) 2011.10.07
- Commands or Signals, Corrections or Punishers, Praise or Reinforcers (behavior, command, dog, punishment, reinforcement, signal, training) 2011.10.03
- Unveiling the Myth of Reinforcers and Punishers (behavior, behavior modification, operant conditioning, punishment, reinforcement) 2011.09.21
- The Spectrum of Behavior (aggression, behavior, dominance, fear, submission) 2011.09.09
- Magical Formula (behavior, evolution) 2011.09.04
- Do Animals Have Feelings? (animals, anthropomorphism, Darwin, dogs, emotion) 2011.08.29